Home
About Us
Support Us
Links
Gift shop
Contact Us

SNIPPITS ARCHIVE



The 1936 Alsea Bay Bridge with the road from the Roosevelt Hwy. (now 101) going under the bridge to the ferry landing that was used before the bridge was built. To the right is a sand road to the beach. The ferry approach was torn down, but the road was there until the new 1991 bridge was built. Waldport Heritage Museum - CRN

**********



THEN - Beaver Creek Lodge built 1948, 16 double rooms, dining room & coffee shop. It burned in the 1950's.
NOW - Ona Beach State Park. Note Lundy Mill in the background of the photo. Waldport Heritage Museum - CRN

**********



Bay City Oyster business was owned by the Robert MacDuffee family in the 1950's & 60's. The building sat over the Alsea Bay a mile up Hwy. 34. The business was a wholesale distribution center for many varieties of seafood, operating as many as five trucks. The operation was sold in 1960 & the new owner moved the business to Portland in 1963. Through the years, half the building melted into the bay. A new owner remodeled what was remaining into a vacation cabin. Waldport Heritage Museum - CRN

**********




THEN - Waldport Chamber of Commerce early days.
NOW- Waldport Chamber of Commerce & Alsea Bay Bridge Interpretive Center. Waldport Heritage Museum - CRN

**********




Waldport State ferries 1935-36 starting under the new 1936 Alsea Bay Bridge and dropping off at the City docks where boat parking is now. Waldport Heritage Museum - CRN

**********



THEN - Waldport Beachcomber Days 1958 Court. L-R: Phyllis Peterson, Kathy Kowal, Patty Nyhus, Margaret Bruckner (Queen), & Colleen Cochran.
NOW - See photos of all the years courts at the Waldport Heritage Museum. Thank you, Colleen Cochran Nickerson, President AHGS-WHM

**********





THEN - Seal Rock 1910.
NOW - Seal Rock. Waldport Heritage Museum-CRN

**********





THEN - Lint Slough 1892 bridge dedication to (Buker Hill) Waldport Heights.
NOW - Lint Slough bridge to Alsea River Highway 34. Waldport Heritage Museum-CRN

**********





THEN - Post Office & Fire Department.
NOW - Central Lincoln PUD & Waldport Library. Waldport Heritage Museum-CRN

**********





THEN - Mill Street, Wakefield Hotel.
NOW - Mill Street - Old Town Waldport-CRN

**********





THEN - North Maple St. during high tide, 1986.
NOW - Parking area. Waldport Heritage Museum-CRN

**********





THEN - Iron Kettle - Owners: Banister (30's), Stumph (50's), Harris (60's), Norton (70's), then Grady.
NOW - Grand Central Pizza - Owner, Grady. Waldport Heritage Museum-CRN

**********





THEN - Homelight Sales & garage repair shop where post office is now - later Homelight Sales shop torn down for Bank of Newport 1969 & West Coast Bank 1993.
NOW - a newly remodeled Columbia Bank. Waldport Heritage Museum-CRN

**********


Waldport Heritage Museum-CRN



**********





THEN - Originally the location of the Jolly Roger Motel, later replaced by a cafe/bar with different names through time - "Mariner", "Sea Squire", "4-J's", "Galley Ho!".
NOW - Subway Restaurant. Waldport Heritage Museum-CRN

**********



Going, going, gone this fall, 2014.
Waldport Heritage Museum - CRN(Class of 1959, last Senior year of the Waldport High School)


**********





THEN - pre 1950's Busy Bee Grocery & Feed Store, later Grady's Y Market & Klinefelter's Laundromat.
NOW - Radio Shack & Ace Hardware.
Waldport Heritage Museum-CRN

**********





THEN - 1918 train from South Beach after crossing the Alsea Bay rail road trestle from S. Beaver/Bayview to Job Corps area.
NOW - at the corner of Highway 34 & Crestline. Waldport Heritage Museum-CRN


**********





THEN - Ruble & Mill Streets, L to R - Movie Theater, Dan's Place & Hunters Cafe.
NOW - Bayview Mobile Home Park. Waldport Heritage Museum-CRN


**********





Images of Old Town and the Port area, the first taken sometime before 1964, and the second taken in 1991 prior to the demolition of the old bridge. Waldport Heritage Museum-CRN

**********



On the left of the above photo is Waldport High School & gym (now the library & Moose Lodge), & behind is the 2 story grade school. Center front, a train load of logs sits on the railroad tracks. In this 1931 photo is a large building in construction for a dance hall. The Waldport Tribune, April 1935 article, “Sears & Yarger are the names of the two gentleman that bought the Rustic Ballroom & turned it from a dance hall to a skating rink. The CCC boys can now skate in Waldport instead of going to Newport every Sunday.” In July it was bought by Victor Gardner. The Rustic Roller rink was open every Sun. & Wed. & Fr. in 1937. In 1938 children skated on Saturday for 10 cents. Otto Houge bought the building in 1940. 1 April 1948, Waldport Bowling Allies opened daily at 4 PM at 15 cents per line, with Pop Leeper in charge of pool tables. In August 1949, the Saturday Night Dance admission was $1, Ladies free. After 1960, the building, still at the corner of SE Cedar & Spring, went though many owners & businesses including the Oregon Coast College annex, a veterinarian office, plumbing shop, florist shop, and was sold again in October, 2012. Waldport Heritage Museum-CRN

**********


The development of the gasoline powered drag saw about 1915 was a major step forward. It replaced the crosscut hand saw in the cutting of firewood that was used in logging camps and to fuel the steam donkey engine. The earliest models were powered by steam from a donkey engine. The first drag saws were reciprocating power saws using six foot steel crosscut saws to buck logs to length. The R.M. Wade Co. of Portland advertised “The mighty Wade out-saws 10 men and can cut 25 to 40 cords a day”. Men said that portable only meant portable if you were very strong and fit since the saws weighed about 300 pounds. The Wade saw can be seen at The Waldport Heritage Museum-CRN

**********


Back in 1929 a pound loaf of bread was a dime and a dozen donuts were a quarter. These were the prices when Mr. & Mrs. Paul Heidenreich came to Waldport and opened a bake shop. The local bake shop owners (Cowgills) were retiring and the equipment was up for sale. The Heidenreichs decided to build a new brick building on Mill Street and buy the equipment. Young fellows were hired to help in the baking and a few girls (Amy Pankey, Bobbi Thissel & Ivy Erickson) were hired to work out front selling. Bread & Pastries were delivered to local stores and restaurants from Waldport to Yachats by Mrs. Lia Heidenreich in the van in the photo. The brick building is still in use as Lakeside Construction. In the early 1900’s, Cora Buker & Bessie Doty had a bakery somewhere on Ruble Street and later moved to the house that Jim Kent built on Mill Street. Waldport Heritage Museum-CRN

**********


The above R. Grigsby photo shows the new 1950 Waldport Grade School & a few houses along the old railroad line (now Starr Street). The high tide swamp land between the grade school & the new lower Crestline road was filling in for the 1960 Waldport High School. Before the grade school & lower Crestline road, it was a ranch where the owner rented out horses. A friend who grew up in Waldport said the only road to Hospital Hill (first high school built in 1911 turned into a hospital by Dr. Edwards) was behind his brother’s house (now Carpet Tech) on Willow Street & ran east up along side the hill to connect to the old Hospital Hill Road. He also said it was a great ride down the hill on his go-cart. Nov. 23 & 24 were the final days of the Waldport High School with a live fire training burn. Dec. 2 will be the final clean up with the site being restored back to open space by Jan. 1. Waldport Heritage Museum-CRN

**********


The old telephone office still sits at the corner of Spencer & Broadway. Waldport neighbors set up private lines that were maintained by the owners about 1903. Yachats was first to be served by an organized telephone company & was extended to Waldport-Eckman Creek area about 1909. A company was organized at that time & sold shares for $1.00 each. The first office was in the Central Hotel. In 1914 Bessie & Cora Buker ran a tiny switch board that could handle only 2 calls at a time. Phone lines went from tree to tree with many storm repairs. In 1923 Bert & Gertie Weist bought the company with the office then next to Bland’s Market on Mill street. Ed & Anna Sells acquired the company in 1932 & moved it to the above photo address. The US Congress passed an amendment to provide loans to improve rural service. A non-profit called “Pioneer Telephone Coop” bought the private enterprise from the last owner, Mr. Pete Baker, of the Coast Telephone Company in 1950, which still serves the community. Waldport Heritage Museum-CRN

**********


The photo is the Jan 3rd, 1939 Waldport Garden Club women from the Pres. Daisy Overlander, wishing all the members a Happy New Year. Daisy started the group in 1929 with five other women, Mrs. Hallmark, Mrs. Westen, Mrs. Cameron, Mrs. C. Starr & Mrs. Berry. After a few simple rules, officers & dues, they called their selves a club. At each roll call, each member mentioned a garden problem or interest & then discussed it. Daisy was Pres. 4 times between 1929 & 1941. The 1932-33 year book states that the club bought & distributed 2000 trees. Three bronze tree markers were set in cement by some members. The group organized 5 Jr. Clubs & a 4-H Rose & Flower Club. The June 1939 club met at the Mrs. James Wolfe (hat in photo) home with 15 members. Everyone brought a favorite flower to share. Mr. Wolfe did his share of entertaining by seeing that all the ladies were taken safely across the river in a row boat at the Jim Kent place. After the meeting, some of the ladies had to remove their shoes to walk down the steep gang plank for the return trip on the boat because of the low tide. The next meeting is July 11 at Mrs. Moffitt’s. Waldport Heritage Museum-CRN

**********


September 28th is Open House at the Waldport Heritage Museum at Broadway & Grant. Pioneer of the Year this year is dedicated to all the first teachers of the area. The photo is the 3rd Waldport School in 1898. It was located on the SE corner of Fayette & Broadway, the original site of the Silver Wheel Freight loading dock, now Ray’s grocery parking. Tina Palestine was the teacher. The first school, 1881, was taught by Joe Gray in a Indian Hut. The 2nd school, 1883, were 4 scows (floating freight barges) set together on edge, covered with a roof & plank floors. Teachers were Miss Lucian, Oney Hethoway, Jennie Spencer & “Poker Foot” Howell. The 4th school was built in 1907 where the Waldport Library is now, M. Kent, teacher & R.R. Goin, Lincoln County principal. A 2 story school building behind the now library & gym (now Waldport Moose Lodge) was built in 1924. Photos of area early schools & list of early teachers will be displayed at the Open House 10-4, Saturday, September 28. WHM-CRN



**********


Photo of Clyde Reynolds carrying mail across Big Creek, south of Waldport in 1925. Feb. 13, 2013 marked the 100th Anniversary of Senate Bill 22, “Ocean Beaches Act”, put up by Oswald West in 1913. There was no Hwy 101 or bridges on the Oregon coast, so beaches were the only road up & down the coast. Trails were made around large & small head lands like Seal Rock. Crossing rivers were by local boats or ferries, depending on the tides. Nearly 400 miles of ocean shores was set aside for public use from the Columbia River to the California border. Only two other states, Texas & Hawaii have public beach laws like Oregon. Oswald West State Park was named in 1958 at Short Sand Beach at Cap Falcon for his commitment. The Oregon coast 1936 bridges connected the new 1930’s Pacific Coast Hwy. Waldport Heritage Museum-CRN


**********


Back in the day when almost everyone had a cow in the back yard, cream was made into butter or sold to the local creamery. Dr. Diven arrived in Waldport in 1894, built & equipped the first creamery. Mr. Greenbo on Mill Street operated the last individual owned creamery. Cream was brought into Waldport by row & sail boat. Mr. Greenbow closed in the late 1950’s. In a Oct. 1941 newspaper article, the Farmers Coop. Creamery was on Hwy 34, now the parking lot for Washington Federal Bank & the US Post Office. It was a large curved top building that was later Ed Johnson’s Logging Truck repair shop. The creamery began operations Aug. 1941 to make & sale cheese for the local stores. The butterfat value for whole milk was 12-15 cents a pound above cream price for making butter. Manager Walt Paelsaxke had wide experience in butter & cheese making. He stated that the cheese should be available to the county by Nov 10, 1941. Waldport Heritage Museum-CRN

**********


Waldport Beachcomber Days started in 1957 on the 4th of July with a high school court of the 5 girls in the photo riding in the parade. Each were described in the local newspaper with parent's names, school class, age, height, weight, color of eyes & complexion. A "Vote for Your Favorite Princess" coupon was next to the girls photos with an address to mail to the Lincoln County Times by June 27, 1957. The queen was Rose Wilson. Everyone crowded Eckman Lake for the water skiing show, then that evening the Waldport Lions sponsored the fireworks show. A history of all the courts, events & photos can be seen at the Waldport Heritage Museum. CRN



**********



Big Stump is located 2.5 miles south of Waldport on the beach behind Cape Cod Cottages. Standing in front of the stump is Mrs. Copeland, a relative of Roy Pankey. The height of the stump depends on how much sand is washed onto the beach at different years. In the 1912 Oregon Journal newspaper, it gives a story of the Big Stump legend of the son of the Alsea Chief & a maiden of the Siletz drowning at “Devils Churn”. There was much grief & wailing for the missing pair. While searching the beaches for the lost loved ones, the maiden’s mother found them behind the stump, figuring the Gods sent the stump for their resting place. The couple was buried there & each year gifts were laid at the stump for Cougar Eye & Whispering Wind. The Un. of Oregon has done a study of the stump (large poster at the museum) & went to press with the research Jan. 20, 2013 in NW Science.org. The stump is estimated to have died between 1720 & 1820. It is a guess the redwood forest subsided in the Jan 26, 1700 earthquake. Access can be made going south from Waldport’s Patterson State Park, a walk of about a mile or from the south side of the stump at Beachside State Park. Waldport Heritage Museum-CRN



**********



The covered bridge across the Alsea River at Canal Creek (photo) was east of the present crossing on Canal Creek Road. It was built less than a year before going out in the flood of 1921-22. The current second bridge was then built on Hwy 34 after a 1929 proposed Alsea Highway map plan. The North Fork Yachats 42 foot covered bridge was constructed in 1938 for $1,500. In 1989, the county replaced roof, tresses & siding. A future facelift is planned at a cost of $660,000, 90% covered by the National Historical Covered Bridge Preservation group. The Fisher School covered bridge, 9.3 miles on Five Rivers Road off of Hwy 34, was built in 1919 for $2,500. There have been several renovations to 1975 when a concert bridge was built alongside & only foot traffic allowed on the old covered bridge. The 72 foot span was placed on the National Historic Registrar in 1976. In 2001, with the Oregon Dept. of Transportation & a federal grant, the total project cost of $610,000 included pilings, deck, stringer, siding, roof & paint was done. Waldport Heritage Museum-CRN



**********


The Honeysuckle outhouse at my grandparents place on the Alsea River was still a way of life in the 1950’s. I grew up when the bathroom was called the bathroom, because all it had was a bath tub. The outhouse always smelled fresh & flowery because a large mountain creek ran under it & out to the high tide slough, then into the river. While visiting cousins at Cushman on the Siuslaw River, I asked to go to the bathroom. In the room I lifted the toilet lid to see a rushing river under the house. The house was built along the river with one side on pilings for the bathroom & kitchen drains. While living on the Idaho family farm before returning to Waldport pre 1955, the fancy trimmed white painted outhouse was in the orchard. The bathroom had a honey pot that I had the privilege to empty each morning. A city cousin from Coos Bay came for a summer visit. While he was sitting one day, I snuck up behind & dropped a lit fire cracker in a hole behind the outhouse. He shot out the door with pants around his knees. He never could get one up on this country girl. Waldport Heritage Museum-CRN



**********


February - Black History Month. About 1851 Alexander Louis Southworth came to Oregon from Tennessee. After mining in Jacksonville, Oregon; fighting in the Rogue Indian War; mining in Yreka, CA and Virginia City, then buying his freedom for $1000 at age 28, he settled in Polk Co., OR where he learned to read & write. With his wife Maria & adopted stepson Alvin McCleary, they moved to Tidewater around 1879 and in 1886 applied for homestead rights for the area called Darkey Creek (now Southworth Creek). He donated land for a school house & served as chairman of the school board. He ferried passengers and cargo up & down the Alsea River & contracted with W.W. Harrison to use his land as a seining ground when fishing across his property. He voted in every election. He was a very religious man and loved to play the violin. He died in Corvallis in 1917, where he left orders to be buried next to his first wife Maria in Crystal Lake Cemetery. His adopted son Alvin also had land adjoining his fathers. Alvin spent most of his life near the Alsea River. In 1896, he fished commercially, helped in the kitchen & dining room of the Wakefield Hotel & worked as a butcher in Newport. He was respected as a businessman and city councilman in Waldport. Alvin died in Corvallis in 1951 and was buried in a unmarked grave at Alder Grove Cemetery near Waldport. Waldport Heritage Museum- CRN