Home
About Us
Support Us
Links
Gift shop
Contact Us

WALDPORT HERITAGE MUSEUM - “Building 1381"



Built by the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) in 1941 as the barracks for a new camp, “Building 1381" was originally located on government property four miles south of Waldport, Oregon. That same year, with the advent of World War (( and no need for a CCC camp, the location became known as Angell Civilian Public Service Camp No. 56. In October 1942, conscientious objectors began arriving at the camp, one of 151 camps across the United States.

At the end of the war, many of the buildings were acquired by the US Forest Services and used as storage facilities for the Waldport Ranger District. In 1960, while the district office for the newly formed Alsea Ranger District was being built at Alsea, the Alsea District Forest Ranger used “1381" as his residence.

Angell Job Corps Center was established on site in 1965, and during the next twenty-three years, the building was used as a barracks and resource center.

The building was donated to the City of Waldport in 1985, moved to the present site in 1988 and leased to the Alsi Historical and Genealogical Society. During the next ten years the building was completely remodeled as a museum by the society, much of the labor donated by the Angell Job Corps students. On January 4, 1997, the Waldport Heritage Museum opened to the public.




ABOUT THE SOCIETY



The Alsi Historical and Genealogical Society was formed in November of 1980. Alsi, the original name of the native American Indians who lived along the Alsea Bay, was the inspiration for the name of the Society. “Alsi” means peaceful.




AHGS MISSION STATEMENT



To provide a place to preserve and display artifacts and objects for the public’s education and enjoyment which illustrate the history of South Lincoln County.
To collect and preserve any and all materials of genealogical and local historic value. Such materials, including but not restricted to land records, school records, photographs, newspapers, letters, books, articles and maps, will be kept in an indexed and orderly manner and will be made available during museum hours or by appointment to interested members of the public for their individual research.